Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Movie Review- The King's Speech

The King's Speech was a solid movie all around.  I'm not saying it was the number one movie of the year like a lot of critics and maybe even the academy might do this weekend but what I am saying is that it was definitely worth the time to watch it.  Don't expect a lot of action or any type of twist to arise during this movie.  What you can expect though is very solid performances out of the cast, a well written story (based on true events), and a good job from the man behind the camera.

The story is staged in England and is based around the events that lead up to King George VI's ascension to the throne.  Before he was King George VI he was Prince Albert, the Duke of York, and younger brother to the future King Edward VIII.  Throughout his life he had a stammering problem and was terrible at public speaking.  He eventually comes upon an unorthodox speech developer who slowly starts to break down the problem and works toward healing it.  When King Edward VIII abdicates the throne it leaves a stuttering prince to helm the crown of an empire that the sun never sets upon.

Even if you didn't find the movie interesting, no one could deny that Colin Firth was terrific.  He has my vote for best actor this year and I really hope he wins it.  Also Geoffrey Rush as his speech developer is great in his supporting role.  I think Tom Hooper did a good job directing this movie, not award winning but a good job all the same.  The movie does a great job showing a man struggling to fix his problem not only because he wants to be normal but because a country on the brink of World War II needs a strong leader to guide them.  I would definitely recommend this movie as it would probably make my top 5 movies of 2011.  I give it 8 Ninja Stars out of 10.

-Diomedes

The King's Speech-Second Opinion
The King's Speech will likely win Best Picture in this Sunday's Academy Awards, and I went in to the film well aware of this. Sometimes going into a movie with this high of expectations can doom it from the start, but The King's Speech lived up to the hype. The story is very interesting, and the acting is phenomenal. The movie has some points were it is a bit slow, but they are few and far between. For the most part it is a funny, moving, well acted movie. Colin Firth is absolutely terrific and I agree with Diomedes when I say that he should and will win Best Actor at the Oscars. Geoffrey Rush was also terrific and if it wasn't for Christian Bale, I would say he should also be the favorite for Best Supporting Actor. Helena Bonham-Carter doesn't have a lot to do but she plays her role well. With it being a year where 9 of the 10 nominated films are very good, I am not sure King's Speech would make my top five list, but it's a solid top ten film of the year. Overall I give it 8 Ninja stars out of 10.

-Maximus

No comments:

Post a Comment