Monday, April 4, 2011

Box Office Recap-April 4th, 2011

Wow, I actually was almost kind of sort of correct in my box office predictions. Hop and Source Code came in 1 and 2 as I predicted, from there I was wrong but at least I had 1 and 2 correct for once. Hop made over $38 million according to studio estimates. This is a very strong opening and actually is more than Rango made in its opening weekend, and Rango has gone on to be a huge success. Its hard to tell if Hop will hold up as well as Rango, but either way it looks like Hop will end up being a hit. Source Code made over $15 million to fall into second place. While not a huge number, it still represents a modest success as Source Code wasn't very expensive to make. In third place was Insidious with $13.5 million, the film beat my prediction and apparently drew enough people on very limited marketing. If the film had been marketed more heavily, I wonder how successful it could have been. The original Saw and Paranormal Activity opened to much higher numbers but were marketed all over the place. In fourth and fifth place respectively were Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2 and Limitless, both continuing their successful runs. Sucker Punch continued to nose dive however, having the biggest second weekend drop this year on its way to $6.1 million.
Next week we have four more new wide releases as we gear up for the summer movie push. Your Highness, Soul Surfer, Hanna, and Arthur all open. My prediction is Your Highness will gather up enough to take over the number one spot, followed by Hop, Arthur, Source Code, and Hanna. Personally I am most excited for Hanna and Your Highness. Check back later this week for a review of Sucker Punch as well as Diomedes' breakdown of these four new films.

-Maximus

No comments:

Post a Comment