Wednesday, November 9, 2011

From Stud To Dud

One thing that really irks me in the movie business is when an actor or actress is so promising or has somehow pulled off a few solid movies and then just picks up a string of bad movies and performances.  I mean you're riding high after a couple of good movies or performances and then you decide "hey I feel like searching out my artistic side" or "this studio is offering me a lot of money to take this role".  Then comes the downfall of a promising star.  I want to dispute the thought that may come quickly to your mind when I throw the $ sign out there. 

First look at it short term.  You already have a bunch of money if you have a few good films under your belt so your definitely not starving.  If you don't take this terrible role with the high dollar promise, I guarantee another offer will come along.  It may not offer as much but again what's the difference between $10 million and $15 million?  Heck I will take 1% of that right now and be happy!  Now let's look at the long term effects.  By taking that terrible role you have disgruntled your fan base, making for a less desirable appeal, and in-turn not landing you any blockbusters thereby diminishing your worth and total life income.  So by that poor choice you not only alienate your fans but you lower your life long income by getting greedy at an early stage in your career.

This is a broad topic so I want to stick to younger actors right now and I will expand to career actors next week.   Let me now give you some examples of what I am talking about.  Ryan Reynolds.  I think he is an awesome actor and has so much potential.  I understand the ladies think he is a heart throb which is a plus for him.  He has a good quick wit which makes him funny but he can use that in a serious manner too.  With all his attributes and his naturally smooth presence on screen, why does he do every role thrown at him?  He is a character in 3 different comic book movies.  That is excessive especially since they were all lame characters in bad movies.  His Deadpool was lame in Wolverine, his funny guy in Blade 3 was ok at best but the movie sucked, and need I say anything about such a loser super hero as Green Lantern?  So stop taking bad movies Ryan and do one of two things: get back to comedy type films or break out and do a very serious role.  If the serious role doesn't work, because they don't for everyone (Jim Carrey in The Majestic), go back to your strong point and at least you can say you tried.  But if it does work maybe we get the next person to take the reins from Tom Hanks who had a career path that went along those same lines.

Another guy who fell off the scene and had some great movies before that happened was Cuba Gooding Jr.  I mean he was in Jerry Maguire, Men of Honor, As Good As it Gets, and Instinct.  What happened?  All I see him in now is movies that are released straight to dvd.  Even if he was never offered another good role, STOP doing straight to dvd movies!  It brings down your credibility and puts a dark stain on an overall good career.  Either way he doesn't need the money and I guarantee after his endeavors in the straight to dvd movies, no one is "Showing him the money".

Now for the Artsy example.  Edward Norton.  The guy is awesome.  A powerful and very talented actor who is in numerous good movies like Primal Fear, Fight Club, American History X, and Red Dragon to name a few.  What does he do with his talent?  Squanders it on stupid Indy movies that a handful of people see.  Oh that's great that everyone loves him at the Cannes festival but who cares about that?  If you ask me that whole festival is for B movies that won't make it in the box office.  Once in a while a gem will come out of there but otherwise they are just movies with people trying to touch you with some deep artistic message.  I mean that’s great that they have that festival and that actors can explore their artistic side but after you have done one of those movies or even two then come back to the real thing.  Pull a Darth Vader and go from the light to the dark and then back to the light side of the movie industry.  I just feel, and I believe that there are others out there, that an actor with such talent as Edward Norton has shouldn't waste it on movies a total of 100 people see.

I hope this wasn't an all-out rant but when your good, stay good and make millions happy.  I am sure that some people won't agree with me on this so whether you do or don't, leave a comment and let me know.  I will resume this topic on a larger scale next week because there are many actors that have had amazing careers and in their later years in life have decided to do many a bad film.  Not just one or two but numerous which really leaves me dumbfounded but that is a discussion for next week.

-Diomedes

3 comments:

  1. Next time you talk about this subject, I would love to hear your thoughts on Nicholas Cage and his bipolar filmography.

    -Maximus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good call. He had some great ones back in the day and then decided to start trending as an off and on actor going from bad to good much like Ridley Scott's directing career. But now he has just unleashed a string of garbage. I watched one of his latest movies which was Season of the Witch. Wow what a pile of crap. Oh and if you didn't catch the first terrible Ghost Rider don't worry because Cage is looking to make another one...

    -Diomedes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa!! Whats with the shot at the director of the greatest film ever? And one of only 5 active directors with 5 great movies? I mean he had that one bad one with Russell at the vineyard and what not, and he almost ruined the Silence franchise....ok cancel my argument, I totally get it.

    -Maximus (nodding head in shame)

    ReplyDelete