Tuesday, April 5, 2011

New Movie Review - Sucker Punch

So I said I would see this movie in theaters and I'm not disappointed that I did.  Granted, I'm not saying the movie was good because it really wasn't, but I also don't think it was terrible like the critics said.  Being that I previewed this movie before it came out I'm not going to go into plot detail.  What I do want to talk about is the things that irked me.  Originally I thought the plot was a little shaky but I figured Zack Snyder would pull through for me like he did in 300 and Watchmen but he didn't.  I thought, as I'm sure many others did, that it would be about a girl in an insane asylum falling into her dreams to escape the harsh reality of the situation she was in.  The problem I had is that the story line goes into an alternate reality of where she is and then she escapes from there into the dream state where her and her friends are warriors.  I thought that was just straight stupid and it basically ruined the movie for me. 

I did kind of like the ending, which I won't reveal, and I also liked the way the beginning was shot.  If you watch the movie you realize that Snyder is a master of the slow-to-quick motion of the action scenes and his mastery of graphics is phenomenal.  His story writing on the other hand is majorly flawed (he wrote the story for this movie if you didn't know).  So my two cents would be stick with what your good at Snyder and bring us more graphic novels with amazing visuals mixed with awesome fight scenes.  Sadly, I would have to give it 4 Ninja Stars out of 10.

-Diomedes

Second Opinion

I, like Diomedes, was very excited for Sucker Punch, and when the reviews came out, I knew I was in to be disappointed, and I was. The film has a very cool opening, and the last twenty minutes or so is very good. However in the middle the film was spotty at best. It was visually amazing for short bursts when they would go to fight a dragon or disarm a bomb from a train, but then they would go back to the annoying "middle world" which wasn't real but also wasn't interesting. Of the five main girls, only two have any real acting ability, and the villain of the film only gets interesting in the last half hour when he goes off the handle. While I just praised the short bursts of great visuals, most of them were also a rip off of some other film. The robots looked eerily similar to those in I, Robot, and the orcs they fought are right out of Lord of the Rings. Overall this was a promising yet disappointing effort. I give it 4 Ninja Stars out of 10.

-Maximus

No comments:

Post a Comment